ICMC 2021 (July 25-31, 2021) invites submissions of musical/sonic/media works for concert presentation at the conference. Our conference theme this year is the virtuoso computer: redefining limits.
NOTE: Please keep in mind that only one work per author will be allowed for presentation at the conference and that a selection from the 2020 call has already been made.
Instructions and Basic Information
Categories include but are not limited to:
- Acousmatic and Spatial Music
- Audiovisual Works
- Computer-aided Acoustic Composition
- Works for Dancer(s)
- Ensemble + Electronics
- Acoustic only ensamble for computer-aided composition
- Fixed Media
- Instrument(s) + Electronics
- Laptop Orchestra/Live Coding
- Live Electronics
- Sound art
- Music + Paper
- Soundscape works
- The virtuoso new interface
- The virtuoso computer organist (please see below)
- Open to all composers regardless of nationality, age or career stage.
- We encourage artists to keep concert music within 15 minutes.
- Instruments/performers provided by ICMC 2021 are detailed in the following instrumentation list.
- In the works for dance category, dancers and custom sensors must be provided by the composers.
- Works must not have been performed at previous ICMCs.
- Works must be submitted online, through the Conference Management Toolkit (CMT)
- All submissions should be anonymous: please make sure that no artist markings are recognizable.
- For conference presentation the artist or at least one of the collaborators must register. A presenter only needs to register once and may be presenting more than one work at the conference.
- Submissions must be written in English.
- There are no submission fees.
Special concerts will take place at the Campus’ imposing neo-romanesque church. This large space has a long impulse response, which can be downloaded here. A digital virtual MIDI organ is available at this location, whose specification can be downloaded here, which can perform submissions for the virtuoso computer organ category. Furthermore, composers can also choose to submit acousmatic works to be presented in this venue and indicate so in the submission form. In all cases, we encourage composers to take into consideration these acoustic conditions.
For further information about the church, please click here .
Review of Works
All submissions will be subject to peer-review by independent reviewers.
Submission Deadline (Eastern Standard Time)
January 31, 2021
Anticipated Notification Date (Eastern Standard Time)
Before April 30, 2021
Concert Hall Details and Venues
Please see this link for details.
Preservation: Computer Music Heritage
To preserve our computer music heritage for generations to come, all artists will have the option to participate in our preservation efforts where each work’s media and digital artifacts will be permanently archived at NYU Libraries as part of the Electro-Acoustic Music Mine (EAMM) project. We will capture, archive, and preserve annual ICMC works starting with ICMC 2018 and [Phase I] Stop the leak so that the yearly curated works are no longer lost after each conference ends. [Phase 2] Archive access for the public. More information on EAMM.